Friday, October 8, 2010

Growing and Using Worm Farms for Fantastic Organic Growth!

In a recent post I spoke about how I have a worm farm for my garden. I am so thrilled with mine and the growth it makes in my garden I just have to come and tell you what it does for my garden.


The little Blue and Black box is my current worm farm.
 That small blue and black box holds my very first set of Tiger Worms and they are really getting through my scraps etc.
I will show you a new photo now of these 2 gardens less than 6 weeks after this photo was taken, and only 1 week after the 1st feeding with juice from the worms.
It made a huge difference. I deliberately kept my garden at the front of my home free of worm juice just for this time so everyone could see what a huge diference they make to your gardens.



Those worms are totally amazing!! The amount of kitchen food and cardboard or paper they get through is absolutely fantastic. They are so voracious.
I am truly lost ofr descriptive words. They do such a wonderful job. They turn all my kitchen waste into fantastic soil and mulch for my whole garden.
All they require is that I give them a bit of warmth, some rain at times, not too cold, and heaps of food scraps, and also approximately 1 3rd of their diet needs to be cardboard or paper.

You wouldn't guess it would you? They actually look like ordinary worms but they not at all. These are called Tiger Worms, or Red Wigglers in some parts of the Northern Hemsiphere.

I have succeeded in finding an excellent book regarding the growing and using of Worms for enriching your gardens.

It is called "The Business & Biology Of Raising Earthworms"
This book itemizes the types and their separate needs food wise etc.
It is truly a fascinating book.
Worm castings are what we receive for our gardens as they chomp their way through our left-overs.
You see there is a use for everything if we use it correctly.
Imagine how much less we would need i landfills if folks used even half their home scraps etc and amde good garden compost and mulch from it?

I never had much interest in worm Farming until a couple of years back when I dabbled at it and ahd a little go at it. I wasnt very successful, mainly becuase I was too hasty in my desire to get it going completely, and also didn't ask for advice either.
We really do need to know their requirements to be successful. Like any farming. (smile)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Great info, I have been thinking about starting the worm business for my garden needs, I will be looking for that book, to help me get started.
    Thanks for all the great info
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete